Test Your Business Idea | Improve Your Business Model
The Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP) offered by the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at UW campuses statewide provides the tools you need for business idea testing and business model improvement. Through instruction, guest speakers and coaching, the course serves those who are considering starting a business, owners of existing businesses, and those with successful companies that they want to grow.
Understanding the full scope of what it takes to start and run a small business can be overwhelming. The Entrepreneurial Training Program is a set of classes designed specifically to help you develop a solid plan and learn what it takes to build a thriving business.
Put your business idea to the test
Build a plan that will attract investment
Explore real-world possibilities
Reduce costly trial and error and increase your chances of success
Get answers to your tough questions from our experienced facilitators and instructors
Use case studies, activities and readings to learn how others like you succeeded
- Utilize weekly feedback to make your plan work
- Learn how to alter your plan early on to increase your chance of success
Who takes ETP?
I’m looking for funding and
need help writing a business plan.
I’m a small business owner and want to
learn more about accounting and the
administrative side of running a business.
A comprehensive business plan is the most critical part of your new venture
- Serves as your objective decision guide
- Reduces costly trial and error
- Required by lenders if seeking financing
- Will attract potential investors
- Greatly increase your chance of SUCCESS
Whether your business is brand-new or expanding, writing a business plan is essential. The toughest parts are doing the research, organizing the information, and taking the time to write the plan. When you finish the weekly assignments in the Entrepreneurial Training Program, you will leave with a completed dynamic business plan.
Entrepreneurial Training Program at UW-Eau Claire
- First three weeks focuses on the Lean start-up model utilizing the Effective Business Model canvas
- Designed by entrepreneurs to help you run a better business
- Lively pace, efficient design, and useful take-home materials
- Utilizes case studies, activities, readings and presentations that are pertinent to business start-ups
- Each week tackles a different concern critical to your business plan
- Facilitators guide small business on issues related to accounting, marketing, financing, business structure and more
- UW-Eau Claire business management faculty provide insights
- Feedback is given weekly by a professional business consultant
- Lean Start-Up Business Model Canvas
- Writing a Business Plan
- Financial Management
- Basic Accounting and Finance
- Legal and Risk Management
- Marketing Needs and Planning
- E-Commerce and Web Site Development
- Technology Involved with Your Small Business
- Customer Service and Time Management
- Hiring and HR Issues
- Record Keeping and Taxes
- Meet in the Continuing Education building, 210 Water Street, Eau Claire
- Tuesday evenings from 6:30–9:15 p.m.; conducted spring and fall in Eau Claire
- Free parking is available across Water Street in the University parking lot north of the Haas Fine Arts building.
- Class size limited so individual questions can be addressed.
- Private, confidential counseling by advisors from the Small Business Development Center is available to cover concerns which are not addressed in the ETP content.
Fees and Descriptions
Option A – Full Program, Without the Extras
This includes the entire program (Lean Start-Up and business plan discussions) but does not include the requirement of a business plan submission nor business plan counseling.
Cost is $1,000.
Option B – Full Program, With Business Plan and Counseling
This option is for the entire program AND the submission of a business plan with counseling. The cost is only $250 if you complete the program requirements. The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation will provide the remaining $750 in tuition assistance. That’s $1,000 worth of concise small business training for $250! Fill out an application to qualify for tuition assistance.
- Understand that if you do NOT complete and submit a business plan, you will be charged an additional $750.
- You must submit an application and wait for approval.
For more information please contact the UW-Eau Claire Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at (715) 836-5811 or email ETP@uwec.edu
Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities will be made if requested at least two weeks in advance. Contact the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at 715-836-5811, or use the Wisconsin Relay System by dialing 7-1-1-715-836-5811.