UW-Eau Claire Permits & Licenses Resources

Permits and Licenses


Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI)

The Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) regulates state-chartered banks, savings and loan associations, and savings banks, as well as various operations of the securities industry. It examines and files charters and other documents of businesses and organizations and registers and regulates the mortgage banking industry and other financial service providers. It oversees Uniform Commercial Code filings, administers the Wisconsin Consumer Act and registers merchants who extend credit. The department is self-supporting through program revenue derived from fees and assessments paid by regulated entities and individuals.


Employer Identification Number

The new Web-based tool instantly processes requests and generates Employer Identification Numbers in real time. Simply answer the questions and receive your EIN immediately after the information is validated. You can download and print the EIN confirmation notice.


Seller's Permits  

Seller's permits are required of every individual, partnership, corporation, or other organization making retail sales or rentals of tangible personal property or retail sales of taxable services in Wisconsin.


Sales Tax

Almost all businesses selling retail products are required to collect sales tax. Some businesses providing a service also collect sales tax. Wisconsin's sales tax law is that all services are exempt unless specifically listed.