Throughout 2020, the Wisconsin SBDC’s 40th anniversary, the network is shining a spotlight on the talented team that makes our work possible.
- Started with the SBDC: 2017
- Accomplishment at the SBDC: Mary undertook the task of revamping and revitalizing the Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP) at UW-Parkside SBDC. She has taught and co-taught the curriculum over the past three years and looks forward to continuing to improve the course experience for small business owners. She is currently developing ways to make the class even more interactive.
- Favorite way to spend time in the community: The SBDC clients love when Mary visits. She enjoys taking an afternoon to head to downtown Kenosha or downtown Racine to visit and support the SBDC retail clients. She likes seeing how the owners and the businesses are doing.
- Something exciting happening at UW-Parkside SBDC: A new supervisory and leadership series for professional development is starting soon. Mary is partnering with the Continuing Education Department to bring this three-part interactive webinar to businesses. The first class will be in October, and the two subsequent classes are planned in November and January.
- Silver lining during COVID-19 pandemic: Small businesses have found a new confidence! Entrepreneurs are finding ways to cut costs and discovering new ways to make money. It is exciting to see the businesses’ survival in contrast to the distress of the pandemic. These tough times are also bringing the people of the community together to support each other.
- Something Mary enjoys about her job: “Every bit of it!” Those who have had the pleasure of working with Mary know of her love for life and her ability to find happiness in almost any situation. She especially enjoys being at the table where ideas come together and helping to implement those ideas and changes for the betterment of her clients.
- Favorite quote: “When you support a small business, you are supporting a dream.”
- Quote from Colleen Merrill, Associate Director SBDC Wisconsin: “The SBDC network is fortunate to have Mary serving our state. She holds the experience and skillset needed to support business in her region. She helps entrepreneurs not only navigate through this uncertain time, but through growth and expansion cycles as well. Her determination to get things done, and get them done right, is what drives her success.”
- Learn more about Mary Fischer-Tracy in her full bio.
See all of our staff spotlights and 40th Anniversary celebrations, as well as all of our team bios across our 13 centers.