Throughout 2020, the Wisconsin SBDC’s 40th anniversary, the network is shining a spotlight on the talented team that makes our work possible. Read previous spotlights on Jason Schleip and Emily Shoenborn.
- Year started with the SBDC: 2018
- Favorite movie: The Big Lebowski
- Proudest work accomplishment in the past year: Extending the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Sheboygan County has been very important to Ray. In addition to working with both the SBDC and with Sheboygan County Economic Development Corporation, he has also become a SCORE mentor.
- Favorite way to spend time in the community: Ray loves cooking and serving food to guests at The Rochester Inn which he owns and runs with his wife, Kelly. The hotel, built in 1848, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. He also serves on the board and as a tourism liaison for the Sheboygan Falls Chamber of Commerce.
- Something exciting about the job: He loves the chance to write and share the success of his clients through articles and testimonials.
- Philosophy: Ray appreciates a strong Midwest work ethic. He leads by example for his family, and his employees, by setting high standards for his own work and instilling in others the importance of accountability.
- Happiest when: Spending time with his family on a lake or hiking alone in the mountains are two of Ray’s happiest times.
- Something exciting at work right now: Ray was thrilled to partner with the Sheboygan Area School District to roll out INCubatoredu, which teaches high school students how to transform an idea into a business. Ray is also working with CBI to reestablish a Business Intelligence Team program in Sheboygan County.
- Something enjoyable about the job: Ray enjoys meeting one-on-one with clients to discover where their passions are and help them reach their goals.
- Business Community involvement: Ray also helps with the Pop-Up Shops in Sheboygan which allow local people who have established a business, either online or out of their home, to test their concept in a brick and mortar location. In the 3 months Ray has assisted with the project, all 3 local businesses moved from the temporary space into their own permanent brick and mortar location.
- Inspiring person: His wife, Kelly, is inspiring because she sets goals, develops a plan to reach them and works super hard to achieve them.
- Something to look forward to: Professional development for Ray includes becoming a certified economic developer as well as a certified business advisor. He is also happy to be helping with programming for this November’s Startup Wisconsin Week.
- Quote from Tara Carr, Center Director for the SBDC at UW-Green Bay: “Ray has been a fantastic addition to the SBDC team! Ray’s great demeanor and optimistic attitude make him fun to be around and promote a positive work environment. His professional and entrepreneurial pursuits add to the quality and depth of his client advising. As Ray has gained experience with the SBDC, his metrics have increased tremendously. The one quality that stands out the most to me is he takes initiative by seeking information and utilizing all the resources available. Ray is focused on serving our clients and is here for all the right reasons, which are attributes to cherish.”
Learn more about Ray York in his full bio.
See all of our staff spotlights and 40th Anniversary celebrations, as well as all of our team bios across our 13 centers.